Pistol Permit Information Guide

Below are answers to several frequently asked questions regarding the issuance of pistol permits in Clinton County. This is intended as a courtesy with a focus on brevity rather than absolute accuracy and should not replace a thorough and careful review of Article 400 of the Penal Law. Because of limitations of space and the complexity of New York's gun laws,you should assume that any answer you read in this Information Guide is, in at least some respect, incomplete. The Clinton County Clerk's Office cannot provide legal advice and you should not rely on the information provided here nor should you presume it to be a restatement of firearms' licensure law and procedure. Many of the rules stated here have exceptions and many of the exceptions themselves have exceptions. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the content of this guide you should speak to an attorney.

More information can also be found on this New York State Police webpage.

If your license was issued before January 15, 2013, the deadline to submit your recertification was January 31, 2018.

If your license was issued on or after January 15, 2013, the deadline to recertify is five years after the date the license was issued.


Pick up an application (fee of $15.00) at the Clinton County Clerk’s Office at 137 Margaret St., Plattsburgh, NY. Once completed, the application must be returned to the same location.

Application can be mailed by request, accompanied by a self addressed stamped 9" x 12" envelope and a $15.00 check or money order for the processing fee.

As of July 1, 2017 a firearm safety course will be required of all applicants except law enforcement applicants who have received training for their employment.There are several requirements that must be met before an individual will be issued a license to carry or possess a firearm in New York State. See NY Penal Law 400.00(1). Generally, you must be 21 years of age but there are no age restrictions for individuals who have been honorably discharged from one of the branches of the United States Military, including the Coast Guard, or the New York National Guard. You also must "reside" in Clinton County however this entails more than simply owning or renting a home or apartment in the county. You must have a "significant connection" with the county in order to establish a residence here for purposes of obtaining a pistol permit.

The fee for the application packet includes the price of your license.

6 to 12 months barring delay.

There are several different types of licenses available. See Penal Law 400.00(2) Generally, an individual who qualifies may obtain a license to have and possess a pistol or revolver in his or her home or place of business. Individuals in certain lines of work may obtain licenses to carry concealed pistols or revolvers. Any person, without regard to employment, may obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol or revolver for proper cause.

Maybe. The only hard and fast rule is that if you have been convicted anywhere of a felony or serious offense you are ineligible for a license to have and possess a firearm in New York State unless you qualify for, and obtain, a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities. However, even a conviction of "lesser" crimes and offenses may disqualify you. The Licensing Officer will consider the nature and number of the crimes or offenses and when they occurred together with all of the other information gleaned from the application process when deciding whether to issue you a license to own and possess a firearm.

No but they are preferred and if there is any question about whether you "reside" in Clinton County, the residency of the character references may take on additional weight.

Licenses issued in Clinton County are valid until revoked however once a license is issued you must recertify the same every five years.

No. But you may not be in the United States illegally or unlawfully.

The instruction sheet provided with the application contains information regarding fingerprinting and the required fee.


Pictures can be taken at the Clinton County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $20.00, and must be submitted with your application.


You must report a change of address in writing to the State Police, Executive Department in Albany within ten (10) days of the move. You must also report a change of address to the Clinton County Clerk and, if you are moving out of Clinton County, request that your records be transferred to your new county of residence.


If you buy a gun from or sell a gun to dealer, just bring the receipt to the County Clerk’s Office where the weapon will be added or deleted and a purchase coupon will be provided for that weapon.

Gun sales to an individual other than immediate family require a NICS check performed by a gun dealer. The buyer must present proof of the NICS check at the time the handgun is registered. You must register the weapon prior to possessing it.


If a pistol is stolen it must be reported to both the police and the Clinton County Clerk’s Office. Please bring a copy of the police report for stolen weapons to the County Clerk’s Office.


Yes, but can only co-own a pistol with immediate family members. Parents, spouses, children, domestic partners and step-children are considered immediate family.