Office hours 8-5, Monday to Friday.
Payments can be made online– if paying by e-check, the cost is only 50 cents, less than the cost of a stamp. Debit and credit cards do have a 2.5% fee that the County cannot waive, as the fee is charged by the third-party vendor who processes the payment. We thank the public for their understanding during this time.
Due to delays in bank processing times we strongly recommend that Canadian Taxpayers obtain money orders when remitting tax payments or utilize the online credit card/e-check option where available. This will prevent additional penalties / interest being assessed due to delays.
Canadian customers please note we only accept US postmarks.
Tax Collection (click to expand)
- Collect delinquent Real Property taxes including County, Town, Village and School taxes for 14 towns, 3 villages and 9 school districts (City of Plattsburgh is excluded)
- Collect current taxes for County and Town taxes for taxpayers who opt to pay taxes in four installment payments
- School taxes are mailed in September
- Taxpayers can enter into a delinquent installment payment program to pay taxes over an extended period (up to 24 months) with a 25% deposit - contact the Treasurer's Office for full details
- Tax searches and tax receipts are available for a fee
- The Treasurer is the enforcing officer under the In Rem Foreclosure process
- All properties, including residential, agricultural, commercial and vacant, have two years to pay taxes before foreclosure (foreclosed after a two-year delinquency)
- Title searches are performed annually on property subject to foreclosure
- Following judicial transfer of title of foreclosed property to the County, a public auction is held to sell the property - minimum bid is amount of taxes due.
Significant Dates (click to expand)
- January 31
- Final date to pay first installment payment to town tax collector if paying taxes in four installments.
- Final date to submit full payment of taxes without interest to town tax collector.
- February 28
- Second installment due to County Treasurer.
- March 31
- Third installment payment due to County Treasurer.
- April -To be determined
- Final date to pay delinquent taxes to avoid $150.00 in rem fee.
- April 30
- Fourth Installment payment due to County Treasurer.
- Last day of collection for full tax payment to town tax collectors.
- Payments postmarked after April 30, 2022 are subject to 5% county penalty plus interest.
- June - To be determined
- Clinton County in rem foreclosure auction. For further information about the County auction, please contact Absolute Auctions & Realty, Inc. at www.nysauctions.com or (800) 243-0061.
- August 31
- All other school taxes are mailed to taxpayers by local school district collectors.
- Final date to pay school taxes without interest is determined by local school district.
- Please read your bill carefully for dates and times of collection.
- Installment payment of school taxes – 3 installment payments.
- First payment must be made to local school tax collector by September 30th.
- U.S. postmark governs date of payment.
- Second and third payments must be submitted to County Treasurer by October 31st and November 30th.
- School taxes that remain unpaid as of November 30, 2022 are subject to penalty and interest and will be relevied on the January land tax bills.
- Delinquent taxes are advertised in the Press Republican and Pennysaver newspapers on September 4th, September 18th and October 2nd (3 non-consecutive weeks).
- In Rem foreclosure documents filed with the court on October 8, 2021.
- In Rem publication in the Press Republican and North Countryman on October 9th, October 23rd, and November 6th (3 non-consecutive weeks).
- Certified letters mailed to taxpayers on October 8, 2021 enclosing Notice of Petition advising delinquent taxpayers last day to redeem property prior to foreclosure being January 7, 2022.
- Letters mailed to all parties of interest who hold mortgages or liens against property listed in Notice of Petition on October 8, 2021.
- December 31, 2021
- Taxes mailed to all property owners in 14 towns of Clinton County.
- January 7, 2022.
- Final date to pay delinquent 2020 (or prior year) taxes on residential, agricultural, vacant and commercial properties to avoid foreclosure under In Rem foreclosure process. (Cash, money order or certified funds only, no personal checks, business checks or credit cards. Must be RECEIVED in our office by 5 p.m.).
Services (click to expand)
- Maintain financial records for all County departments
- Pay all audited claims against the County including debt service
- Receive and disburse Federal, State and local funds as required
- Collect Real Property taxes - see Tax Collection
- Responsible for County payroll
- Serve as depository for custodial and various trust accounts
- Responsible for capital projects including borrowing money and paying all audited claims
- Invest funds within guidelines of County Investment Policy to assure optimum earnings
- Issue Certificate of Residency to allow residents to attend community colleges at a reduced tuition (Forms available for download on the right side of this page)