Welcome to the Clinton County Department of Motor Vehicles website!!
Our office is now open to the public with no appointments needed.
Our hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:45. Any customers inside our office at 3:45, will be asked to leave and come back the following day or at their convenience. This will ensure that we can properly take care of the customers we are waiting on and give us adequate time to wrap up the days transactions.
Please email Supervisor, Deanna Rock, at email@example.com with any questions or if you would like any forms sent to you via email or mail.
We now offer Permit test for Motorcycles and Class D online. You will go to www.dmv.ny.gov, click on licenses/permits and follow the instructions for taking the test. You will then need to come into the office with your original documents and we will issue you your permit.
Please make sure you have completed all appropriate paperwork prior to getting in line to see a cashier. We have a help desk that will answer any question you have as well as making sure you have completed the correct forms. If you are not sure, please go to the help desk so that you do not waste time by waiting in line for the cashier and then be sent to complete something else. Most forms can be found online by visiting www.dmv.ny.gov or are available at the help desk.
If you have been vaccinated, you are not required to wear a mask. Please make sure to wear a mask if you have not been vaccinated.
For further assistance, please call us at 518-565-4785. We do answer our phones, however, there are 3 lines ringing in and one person answering them. Please be patient.
Keep Your Tax Dollars Local
Help to keep your taxes down and get your registration back faster by supporting your local DMV office. Clinton County keeps 12.7% of your registration and license renewal fees when the transaction is processes by your local DMV office. If you mail the documents back to the Sate or process the transaction online, Clinton County receives 0% of the fees.
Renew your registration and license locally, in person or by mail. Below are the office hours and times for specific transactions, as well directions to our office.
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:45pm
EDL and REAL ID Transactions:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Written Test Room:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Commercial Drivers License (CDL):
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 2:00pm
- BY PHONE ONLY - 1-518-402-2100 (24 hours day / 7 days week)
- Location of Road Test and directions to location will be given when appointment is made.
- All-CDL must go to office, pay $40.00 road test fee, customer will be given receipt with phone number to call and schedule road test.
- To Cancel Road Test, call number above. (CDL must cancel 72 hours before test)
- Operator Class D - passenger cars and light trucks drivers over age 18.
- Taxi and Livery Class E - for-hire vehicles, less than 10 passengers must be over age 18.
- Junior Operator Class DJ - drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Motorcycle Class M - motorcycles.
- Junior Motorcycles Class MJ - for motorcycle drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Non-CDL Class C - for vehicles over 18,000 lbs. up to 26,000 lbs. (minimum age 18).
- Commercial Class A, B and C - for trucks 26,001 lbs. or more and buses (minimum age 21). There are endorsements and restrictions depending on type of vehicle driven and cargo. For complete information on Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs), consult the NYS Commercial Driver Manual, available from DMV.
- Traveling from the north or south on Route 9, the DMV office is located at the corner of Margaret and Cornelia Streets, on the first floor of the Clinton County Government Center.
- From I-87 north or south, use Exit 37, turn onto Cornelia Street and continue to the corner of Margaret Street.