Welcome to the Clinton County Department of Motor Vehicles website
*We are open to the public with NO appointments needed. Our hours of operation are Monday -Friday from 8am to 3:45. Please make sure you are here by 3:30 to ensure you will be seen.
*For all vehicles that are purchased for $500 or less, the seller MUST fill out section 6 of the DTF 802 for your bill of sale. This includes cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles and heavy weight trailers. There are no exceptions to this rule. Please see a Supervisor if you have any questions.
Please contact Deanna Rock at email@example.com for any questions you have or if you need forms emailed to you.
*Some transactions can be done through email, such as address changes, insurance lapses, driver assessment fees and suspension termination fees. Please email her to find out more information.
*Any Dealerships looking to get vehicles registered for your New York customers, please contact us. We will process deals for anywhere in New York State. We do not charge for our services, like some of the third party vendors you go through. We also have a very quick turn around!
*You can also have your Insurance Cards or other documents emailed to her at: firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be printed and waiting for you when you arrive!
Masks are required in all County Offices regardless of your vaccine status.
** Please Do Your Part to Keep our Tax Dollars LOCAL.
Change the address on the PINK return envelope you get in the mail to:
DMV, 137 Margaret Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Your renewals will be processed right here in our office and back to you within a few days vs. weeks. You have to put a stamp on it anyway, send it to Plattsburgh.
Please mail us your plate surrenders as well.
STOP giving Albany and Utica OUR tax dollars. Support the County you live in.
Help to keep your taxes down and get your registration back faster by supporting your local DMV office. Clinton County keeps 12.7% of your registration and license renewal fees when the transaction is processes by your local DMV office. If you mail the documents back to the Sate or process the transaction online, Clinton County receives 0% of the fees.
Renew your registration and license locally, in person or by mail. Below are the office hours and times for specific transactions, as well directions to our office.
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:45pm
EDL and REAL ID Transactions:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Written Test Room:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Commercial Drivers License (CDL):
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 2:00pm
- BY PHONE ONLY - 1-518-402-2100 (24 hours day / 7 days week)
- Location of Road Test and directions to location will be given when appointment is made.
- All-CDL must go to office, pay $40.00 road test fee, customer will be given receipt with phone number to call and schedule road test.
- To Cancel Road Test, call number above. (CDL must cancel 72 hours before test)
- Operator Class D - passenger cars and light trucks drivers over age 18.
- Taxi and Livery Class E - for-hire vehicles, less than 10 passengers must be over age 18.
- Junior Operator Class DJ - drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Motorcycle Class M - motorcycles.
- Junior Motorcycles Class MJ - for motorcycle drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Non-CDL Class C - for vehicles over 18,000 lbs. up to 26,000 lbs. (minimum age 18).
- Commercial Class A, B and C - for trucks 26,001 lbs. or more and buses (minimum age 21). There are endorsements and restrictions depending on type of vehicle driven and cargo. For complete information on Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs), consult the NYS Commercial Driver Manual, available from DMV.
- Traveling from the north or south on Route 9, the DMV office is located at the corner of Margaret and Cornelia Streets, on the first floor of the Clinton County Government Center.
- From I-87 north or south, use Exit 37, turn onto Cornelia Street and continue to the corner of Margaret Street.