Effective Monday, July 6, 2020, the Clinton County Department of Motor Vehicles will be open to the public and will be fully operational. Clinton County residents will no longer have to make an appointment and can simply stop in during normal business hours (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.). At this time, we will only be serving Clinton County residents only. If you live in another county, you will need to go to the DMV in your own County.
WE CONTINUE TO ASK FOR YOUR PATIENCE AS MANY RESIDENTS WILL BE UTILIZING THE SERVICES. CUSTOMERS SHOULD EXPECT EXTENDED WAIT TIMES.
Please make sure you have completed all appropriate paperwork prior to entering the Motor Vehicle office, as there will be many people trying to get in. You can find the forms online by visiting http://DMV.NY.GOV or forms are available outside of the office in the main lobby of the Government Center. We request that only the customer who is bringing in the transaction enter the department and to please wear a face covering and practice social distancing. For further assistance, please call the main line at 518-565-4785 or you can email the Supervisor, Deanna Rock at email@example.com
Please be patient with us regarding the phone calls. Many people are trying to call and we are working very hard to make sure everyone is taken care of.
All of us here at Clinton County DMV would like to thank you in advance for your patience during our reopening process.
Keep Your Tax Dollars Local
Help to keep your taxes down and get your registration back faster by supporting your local DMV office. Clinton County keeps 12.7% of your registration and license renewal fees when the transaction is processes by your local DMV office. If you mail the documents back to the Sate or process the transaction online, Clinton County receives 0% of the fees.
Renew your registration and license locally, in person or by mail. Below are the office hours and times for specific transactions, as well directions to our office.
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:45pm
EDL and REAL ID Transactions:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Written Test Room:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Commercial Drivers License (CDL):
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 12:45pm
- BY PHONE ONLY - 1-518-402-2100 (24 hours day / 7 days week)
- Location of Road Test and directions to location will be given when appointment is made.
- All-CDL must go to office, pay $40.00 road test fee, customer will be given receipt with phone number to call and schedule road test.
- To Cancel Road Test, call number above. (CDL must cancel 72 hours before test)
- Operator Class D - passenger cars and light trucks drivers over age 18.
- Taxi and Livery Class E - for-hire vehicles, less than 10 passengers must be over age 18.
- Junior Operator Class DJ - drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Motorcycle Class M - motorcycles.
- Junior Motorcycles Class MJ - for motorcycle drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Non-CDL Class C - for vehicles over 18,000 lbs. up to 26,000 lbs. (minimum age 18).
- Commercial Class A, B and C - for trucks 26,001 lbs. or more and buses (minimum age 21). There are endorsements and restrictions depending on type of vehicle driven and cargo. For complete information on Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs), consult the NYS Commercial Driver Manual, available from DMV.
- Traveling from the north or south on Route 9, the DMV office is located at the corner of Margaret and Cornelia Streets, on the first floor of the Clinton County Government Center.
- From I-87 north or south, use Exit 37, turn onto Cornelia Street and continue to the corner of Margaret Street.