Welcome to the Clinton County Department of Motor Vehicles website!!
Our office is currently operating on an appointment only basis. Please visit our website at clintoncountydmv.setmore.com to schedule your appointment. If you have more than one transaction, please make sure to schedule one appointment per transaction. Our appointments fill up fast so if you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please make sure to cancel it.
Plate Surrenders, Abstracts, Registration Renewals, Duplicate licenses, Duplicate Titles, Fee Payments DO NOT need an appointment. Please do NOT come between the hours of 11:30 and 1:30, as we have limited staff during these hours. We check the door every 15 minutes for appointments.
We are now offering Permit test for Motorcycles and Class D online. You will go to www.dmv.ny.gov, click on licenses/permits and follow the instructions for taking the test. You will then need to schedule an appointment to get your permit issued.
Our hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
We would like to thank you for your continued patience and understanding during these difficult times. We are trying our hardest to make sure everyone is served in a timely manner.
Please make sure you have completed all appropriate paperwork prior to entering the Motor Vehicle office for your appointment. You can find the forms online by visiting www.dmv.ny.gov or forms are available in the lobby of the Government Center.
Please make sure to wear a face covering and practice social distancing.
For further assistance, please call the main line at 518-565-4785.
Keep Your Tax Dollars Local
Help to keep your taxes down and get your registration back faster by supporting your local DMV office. Clinton County keeps 12.7% of your registration and license renewal fees when the transaction is processes by your local DMV office. If you mail the documents back to the Sate or process the transaction online, Clinton County receives 0% of the fees.
Renew your registration and license locally, in person or by mail. Below are the office hours and times for specific transactions, as well directions to our office.
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:45pm
EDL and REAL ID Transactions:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Written Test Room:
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 3:00pm
Commercial Drivers License (CDL):
- Monday - Friday : 8:00am - 12:45pm
- BY PHONE ONLY - 1-518-402-2100 (24 hours day / 7 days week)
- Location of Road Test and directions to location will be given when appointment is made.
- All-CDL must go to office, pay $40.00 road test fee, customer will be given receipt with phone number to call and schedule road test.
- To Cancel Road Test, call number above. (CDL must cancel 72 hours before test)
- Operator Class D - passenger cars and light trucks drivers over age 18.
- Taxi and Livery Class E - for-hire vehicles, less than 10 passengers must be over age 18.
- Junior Operator Class DJ - drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Motorcycle Class M - motorcycles.
- Junior Motorcycles Class MJ - for motorcycle drivers under age 18, with restrictions, please visit Learner Permits and Junior Licenses
- Non-CDL Class C - for vehicles over 18,000 lbs. up to 26,000 lbs. (minimum age 18).
- Commercial Class A, B and C - for trucks 26,001 lbs. or more and buses (minimum age 21). There are endorsements and restrictions depending on type of vehicle driven and cargo. For complete information on Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs), consult the NYS Commercial Driver Manual, available from DMV.
- Traveling from the north or south on Route 9, the DMV office is located at the corner of Margaret and Cornelia Streets, on the first floor of the Clinton County Government Center.
- From I-87 north or south, use Exit 37, turn onto Cornelia Street and continue to the corner of Margaret Street.